Wednesday, March 26, 2014

My 'Hood

Gardening in the shade of glorious tall trees--only dummies would try it. Okay, so I fall into that category. Snow is still on the garden on March 26. I have spinach and lettuce seeds all ready to go. Cardinals and squirrels have been scratching through the snow, hoping to find something. Never have I planted a garden this late. It's officially Spring.
This year, I didn't start seeds indoors, as I have a few times. Poor old Frisker passed away last year, but I learned that even an old cat could not resist the temptation of climbing on a wobbly ancient card table in front of the living room window to nibble on greens.
I've given up on zucchini, although one year I had a baby-sized one and made my husband take a photo of me holding it. The horrendous storms we seem to get every year flood the roots.
Ditto for cucumbers, which attained only Gherkin-pickle size in my plot.
Yellow beans? Unfortunately, they thrive no better than green varieties.
To get even a cupful of raspberries from my plants, I need to wake up around 5:30 a.m. and compete with birds. They usually win.
This year, I'm going to plant a smart garden.
But first the snow must melt so I can put up deer netting (which works for catching squirrels, as well as trapping snakes, like last year).
Oh, yes, besides squirrels and birds, a herd of white-tailed deer munches on anything they can reach.
That's why I hope my green-thumbed neighbors who go more for landscaping lawns than growing veggies plant some deer delicacies.

No comments:

Post a Comment